Formerly known as Garrison (as called by the Marines who arrived there).
This is the islands capital. It is home to most of the islands main buildings and it
is also home to most of the islands main functioning companies and governing council.
With the Garrison arriving From
HMS Peruvian and Zenobia, there was a need to find suitable water supplies and a
place to construct shelters.
Lt's Hobson and Thorne were sent to sort out the water situation and others from the ship were ordered to sort out the shelters, this was the original settlement made out of wood and canvas. 1830 saw this move to the site it occupies today.
It also saw a single storey Marine Barracks built. This was the original Exiles Club. Later on (1848) the building had it second storey added increasing its capacity to 150. This remained in Naval use until 1903 until its replacement was built, with the original being used for storage and emergency accommodation until the Navy left in 1922.
When the Navy left the Island it became the Ascension Club and then as it is
known today the Exiles Club, which was the Cable & Wireless Employees only Club.
You had to be in the employ of them or be sponsored by them to be a member.
Religion came to the island in 1844 when the first chaplain arrived.
The construction of the church was started in 1843 with the cornerstone being laid. They main part of the church was finished around 1847. The First Bishop of St Helena consecrated it in 1861.
The church's alter was added in later on. St Mary's had numerous additions made up till the Naval Chaplain returned back to the United Kingdom.
Services continued after this by lay readers.
St Marys. (Left)
1899 saw the Police station being constructed were it is situated today. A detachment from St Helena took over when the Navy left Ascension. The courthouse and Police office was constructed in 1900 and was originally a library. the Eastern Telegraph Company manager was appointed the Resident magistrate, and he was based here until 1967.
1900 also saw the Recreation rooms being built. These eventually became the Georgetown Hall. This used to show Movies, and every 3 months or so the forces entertainment shows came to Ascension to perform. Disco's used to held here also.
At the end of this building is a Club (The Saints Club) and at the other end the Post Office.
Located just off Deadmans Beach at the south west end of Georgetown
This picture is taken from the far Northern end of Long Beach showing Georgetown at the Clarence Bay end of the town. The old Turtles pens and Fort Thornton can be seen The Pierhead is behind and to the right of the Fort
This picture is taken from
the Fort Bedford area of Cross hill which sits behind Georgetown.
This picture is also taken
from Cross hill. You can see the various towns Accomdation blocks,
Hotels and Business Headquaters, Plus the fuel Dump at the rear of the
picture. to the left of the picture is one of the two Golf Courses on
This picture is of the end of the islands Pier during a pretty stormy day to the right of the picture is the Maersk Ascension which was the islands Fuel Supply ship which was permanently based there.
This picture was taken from
the RAF Tristar as it was coming in to land.....This was my second
landing on the island.