Information Category | 15-12-07 02:24 GMT | Posted by Ian Chicken

A Brief Look
A History that dates back to the 1500's

Ascension island (Circa 1835)

1501:- March 5th, Jᯠda Nova passed the island, he named it Conception.
1503:- May 3rd, Alphonse d'Albuquerque arrived, stayed overnight, and named the island Ascension.
1539:- August 25th, King John III of Portugal recognised the island as part of the Portuguese empire.
1589:- May 28th, Jan van Linschoten arrived with his fleet of ships


1656:- June 8th Englishman Peter Mundy come ashore and wrote of turtle meat and eggs being taken.
1673:- January Friar Domingo Navarrete recorded the use of the island as post office

Adidas Ultra Boost Shoes Nike Air Max 2015 Nike Air Max Shoes Timberland Boots & Shoes Adidas Original NMD Adidas Nmd Sneakers Adidas Yeezy 350 Boost Nike Kyrie 2 Id Adidas Yeezy 950 M Adidas Tubular Suede Herren Timberland Boots Adidas Ultra Boost Shoes Nike Air Max 90 Adidas Superstar Shoes Nike Air Max 2017 Shop Timberland Mens Boots Shoes Nike Air MAX 2016 Adidas Superstar Shoes Adidas Yeezy 350 Boost Turtle Dove Supra Shoes
1701:- February 22nd, Captain William Dampier (Left) was shipwrecked with his crew and found water..
1725:- May 5th to October 14th:- A Dutch sailor was set ashore as punishment for the crime of sodomy.
1752:- Swedish priest Peter Osbeck arrived on his way home from China.
1769:- January 31st, Captain Carteret arrived on the Swallow for 1 night.
1769:- February, Louis de Bougainville on the La Boudeuse noted the
practice of post services still operating
1775:- May, Captain James Cook on HMS Resolution with Indiaman Dutton
call and stay there for five days.
1799:- September 8th, American ships crew rescued by HMS Endymion.

1815:- 13th October, Napoleon was exiled to St Helena and British installed a Naval Garrison.
1815:- 22nd October, The British take possession of the island, When Captains James White (HMS Peruvian) and William Dobree (HMS Zenobia) arrive.
1821:- Napoleon died on St Helena. Ascension had become a victualling station and Sanatorium. This year also saw the Marines take control of the island
1823:- The British Marines first commandant arrives to take control of the Island.
1826:- HMS Bann arrived with a crew suffering from yellow fever.

1829 - through 1832,  Water supplies where improved with pipes from Dampier's, to Georgetown.
1833:- The mountain barracks was erected.
1836:- Charles Darwin Visited aboard the HMS Beagle
1863:- New barracks built.
1847:- Botanist J.D. Hooker arrived.
1847:- St Mary's church built. (Right)
1877:- Mrs Isobel Gill wrote her account of their time on the island.
1879:- Church restored and extended.
1899:- The first Civilians arrive with the Eastern Telegraph Company.

1915:- Islands first wireless station built
1922:- It came under the colony of St Helena by Royal Letters Patent. 
1922:- October 22nd, The Navy departed.
1922:- Through 1934, Eastern Telegraph Company managed the island.
1941:- Guns from HMS Hood installed to defend the island.
1942:- 30th March, 38th Regiment arrived to construct the Airstrip
1945:- The Americans left.
1956:- The Americans signed an agreement with the UK to return to the island
1957:- Station 12 of the Eastern Test and Missile Range opened.
1963:- T.T.R. site (Nike Zeus) at Pyramid Point was constructed.
1964:- Cable & Wireless handed control over to the newly appointed Administrator.
1964:- Saw the start of construction of Two Boats Village and the BBC transmitter and Power Station Site.
1965:- NASA and Cable & Wireless open up sites at Devils Ashpit and Donkey Plain.
1989:- NASA pull out of Ascension and the European Space Agency move in.


Under Construction